My New Job

Monday I started work at the Alzheimer's Association of North Central Texas, where I'll be implementing an art program called Memories in the Making. Wow, what a learning curve! I spent the week visiting an assisted living facility, a nursing home, a family support group and home visit as well as learning more about the work of the Alzheimer's Association. All my new colleagues work with the elderly, specifically Alzheimer's Disease and dementia patients, as their life work. They have degrees in social work and gerontology. Soon, I'll be conducting art "classes" for people with various stages of dementia. I'll know how to communicate with people who may no longer be able to speak and helping them retrieve lost memories through painting. Photo courtesy of the Alzheimer's Association.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds like a great thing to be doing. Lots of families who have members with Alzheimers go through hell dealing with it. Anything anyone can do is amazing.

Blosson Designz said...

Good luck in your fabulous new adventure. I suspect it will be highly satisfying